Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External hard drive - General question

465 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
Thank you for your service! I have a MacBook Pro 1TB laptop and it's brand new. I am connected to iCloud. I understand that the cloud is a mirror copy of what I have on my computer. I'm currently recording videos that I will edit and upload to a video server. I also purchased an external 1TB hard drive for back up purposes.

Do you recommend that I use the external hard drive as a "time machine" or simply as a separate drive to store all of my video files, edited and originals?
Or should I buy an external drive for the time machine, and another drive to store the video files?

I appreciate any advice that you can share.

With Respect,
Dave

#2 ·
Thank you for your service! I have a MacBook Pro 1TB laptop and it's brand new. I am connected to iCloud. I understand that the cloud is a mirror copy of what I have on my computer. I'm currently recording videos that I will edit and upload to a video server. I also purchased an external 1TB hard drive for back up purposes.

Do you recommend that I use the external hard drive as a "time machine" or simply as a separate drive to store all of my video files, edited and originals?
Or should I buy an external drive for the time machine, and another drive to store the video files?

I appreciate any advice that you can share.

With Respect,
Dave
It does not mirror your entire computer (that I know of) as the default storage size of 5GB, unless you have some other service with it.

Using Time Machine would be a good option for the whole computer and you can use icloud for data only as an additional backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.