1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive has died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Genie_83, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Genie_83

Genie_83 Thread Starter

Hi I recently tried plugging my external hard drive in to my computer and at first it didn't load up but the light went on the hard drive. I played around with the power connection cord and the light went on and then off and it hasn't worked since. I was wondering if we can't get it fixed by anyone would it be possible to get the information off of it. We have very important photos home movies and iTunes on it. We have some backed up but not all. Thanks

2. Hughv

Hughv

Make and model of the drive?
    It's not unusual for the enclosure to die so try removing the drive from the case and connecting it with an adapter.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the drive is still working once removed from the case, then the files on it can be easily retrieved.

But if the drive itself is damaged, professional recovery would be needed that could cost into the $1,000's.

Any file that is not backed up is a file you should expect to lose.

4. Genie_83

Genie_83 Thread Starter

Thanks for that. So the hard drive is an elements one modle wd5000co35

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have opened a few of the older WD elements drives and they are pretty easy to open. You simply pop the case open using a small screwdriver, knife blade, etc. The drive is held in by a few rubber bumpers/snubbers. The drive should be a standard scorpio type drive. You can connect this as an internal drive and see if you can access the files. If you are using a laptop to attempt to access the drive, you will need an adapter like this one;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

It does little good now however this is just one of the reasons why we stress backups SO much. With an image backup of the problem drive, it is a very simple matter to buy a new drive and restore the image. Done.

Data you do not backup is data you do not care about. All drives will fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice