1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive holding large files hostage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpiDoL, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiDoL

SpiDoL Thread Starter

Hey there,

I bought this hard drive a long time ago, but it's been working A-OK up until a few weeks ago. Here's the problem:

Whenever I try to transfer several large files (pretty much anything above 600 MB) at once from the hard drive to any computer, the hard drive will automatically disconnect and reconnect during the operation. A message will pop up saying "The file is no longer on the hard drive" even though it's still there, and it asks me to retry, skip, or cancel. But every time I press retry, the message keeps popping up and I have to skip the file, thus ruining the whole operation. Ironically, the hard drive doesn't do this when I transfer several large files at once from a computer to the hard drive, so now it feels like the hard drive's holding my stuff hostage.

A lot of the aforementioned large files are important to me, and I need to transfer them from drive to drive, so I need help in fixing this. Any suggestions?

Do you think it could be the USB cable that came with the hard drive? Because it's been bent back and forth numerous times, and that's probably disrupting the connection...

2. Simba7

Simba7

It's quite possible. Also, it could be that the hard drive is wearing out and might be giving some errors.

Either way, I would highly recommend transferring the files to a new hard drive before the unthinkable happens. You can usually remove the drive from the external casing and connect it directly to your desktop. If you're unfamiliar with installing a hard drive, I would suggest some assistance from a tech.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice