1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LanguidLegend, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LanguidLegend

LanguidLegend Thread Starter

So I am having issues with an external hard drive (or more likely just the internal drive inside the enclosure). So I was given this drive used (and in working order when I received it) and I first formatted the entire drive to one NTFS partition and shortly after to three 200GB FAT32 partitions and one 1.4TB NTFS partition (using EASEUS Partition Manager).

It was at some point during these transitions that it started to become unresponsive &/or unrecognized by my system and so I was unable to view/alter it further using normal methods. I used a bootable partition program (Minitool Partition Wizard) and was able to view, wipe (a several hour process), then reformat the entire drive to NTFS successfully (or so the program claimed). And so here I am now (haha) - I boot into Windows and not only is the drive still unreadable, but I also notice a significant & persisting lag in Windows Explorer whenever I switch the drive on. It does appear in disk management (after a very long load time), but it does not appear formatted, and when I try to format it I get an error telling me to check the system log (attached below).

Is it possible to salvage this drive to make it functional again?? I'd hate to throw it away when I didn't have to..

System
    Model: Compaq-Presario NP185AA-ABA CQ5110F
    Operating System: Windows 7 (32-bit)
    Memory (RAM - DDR2): 4GB

External Drive
    Enclosure: Wintec FileMate 3FME3B2TB-R 3.5" SATA to USB 2.0
    Interface: USB 2.0

Internal Drive
    Manufacturer: Western Digital
    Model: WD20EARS
    Interface: SATA
    Size: 2.0 TB

Links:
    System Log.png
    Device Manager.png

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

If it's affecting the PC (ie: Windows performance), the drive is likely faulty and not responding properly...thus causing Windows to "lag" as it waits for a proper response.

You can try removing the drive from the external enclosure and then test the drive using the drive manufacturers disk tools. Perform the short and long test. If either test fails, the drive is faulty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036592