1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by airwalkskate, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airwalkskate

airwalkskate Thread Starter

Every time I try to open my Western Digital External Hard Drive I get this error:

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Error Signature
    AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.3156 ModName: qedit.dll
    ModVer: 6.5.2600.2180 Offset: 0006671a

------
    I tried redownloading the qedit.dll and activating it again and restarted my pc but still get the message. I can still access the files if I don't click "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send", but I have to move the window off to the side, unless I click one and the box closes along with the window with my files on my external drive. What would be causing this error?

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

If this drive worked well and this trouble just appeared lately, it may be the result of some MS update or possibly some software you have installed. Can you tie the time of the appearance to any act like that?

Check the manufacturers site for an updated driver or support help?

3. airwalkskate

airwalkskate Thread Starter

I went to the Western Digital website and downloaded everything I could that was associated with my external drive. None of the programs I ran did anything though. Could there be something wrong in the .dll's that would be effecting it? Like I said, I can access all the files if I move the error window to the side but as soon as I try and close it, my ex hard drive window closes.

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

This would seem to be a basic Windows core issue. The qedit.dll is related to the Movie Maker and possibly affects other graphics or video programs. It's odd that it affects an external HD.

If you have Dial-A-Fix, run it with all items checked. It has a good shot at problems like this and if it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt.

If you don't have it, Click Here To Get It.

It's a very useful tool for re-registering dll's without having to do any homework.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!