1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard drive just failed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryutso, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryutso

Ryutso Thread Starter

When I woke up this morning, I saw that something on my computer went haywire and every external drive and memory stick was ejected. It was still on though so it wasn't a power surge.

But then when I go to re-plug in my 500GB xHDD it tells me the "This device has malfunctioned." message. For a while I'm sad, but then I swap cord only to find it it connects. YAY!

However then the "You must format this disk before you can use it" message pops up and I get sad again.

This xHDD had everything on it. My music, my files and all my backups. Is there anyway to get into the disk and copy stuff out without formatting? I would really like to save my files.

EDIT: Update with a picture of my Disk Management screen. K: is the external Hard drive:

[​IMG]

What the heck? How could a disc go from functioning NTFS to raw in 8 hours?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

The 1st thing to do is to remove the hard drive from the enclosure, and connect it to a desktop machine. You can then see how Windows reads the drive when connected directly to a desktop motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice