1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard drive letter assignmeent

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Knotbored, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Knotbored

Knotbored Thread Starter

I have a new 120 gig external USB drive (105G free). It installed and seems to work fine except:
    My prior system had hard drives C: and D:
    cd reader drive E:
    DVD/cd RW drive F:
    four-way card reader G:, H:, I:, J: (these came and went depending if card reader was left plugged to the PC)
    The new external installed correctly as drive K: and I succesfully backed up a zilllion photos.

After shutting down/startup the drive assignments redefine as
    C: and E: Hard drives
    D: as new external 105 GIG free
    F: as CD reader
    G: as DVD/CDR
    H: as a second identical new external 105 GIG free (duplicates drive D:)
    The four way card reader is unplugged-ran out of USP plugs.

I have two problems:
    1. The duplicate external drive assignment is obviously wrong but I cannot make it go away.
    2. I cannot make a backup program work correctly since the drive assignment keeps changing.

How can I "lock in" the hard drive and CD assignments so the external drive doesn't jump in the middle of that alphabet. I want the External drive to always be assigned some higher alpha letter so I can use it on different computers.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What os are you using?

3. Knotbored

Knotbored Thread Starter

Desktop Windows ME (I know I know-but I like it) but the drive will also be used on a laptop that has Win XP.
    Drive is for backup mostly for both these computers.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's easy on XP, you just assign it a drive letter in Disk Management. I don't know how to do it in ME. :)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is the problem, win9x reassigns drive letters when it restarts. It will assign letter C to the first partition of the boot drive. The next is assigned to the primary partition of the second hd, then extended partition of the first hd and so on. Optical drives are assigned letters after hd.

There may be a registry hack or setting to keep from doing this; I would post the question in the win9x forum. You will be more apt to get an answer there.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The answer is to re-assign the CD and DVD drive letters up to (say) N and O (that's what I use). 9x and ME will do that. Or you could wait until it has finished loading before plugging in the USB drive.

Device Manager and right click on the CD. At the bottom you can choose the letter.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Right Dave, I had forgotten that you could move the optical drives with 98/ME. That solves at least part of the problem...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/339712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice