1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard drive - loose cable or loose socket ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by principessa, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. principessa

principessa Thread Starter

hi :)
    i've had a used (eb*y) simpletech 320gb external hard drive since jan and been using it with a replacement mini b w/ dual usb male cord (also eb*y) ...i think it's worked okay (maybe there have been some subtle abnormal noises, i don't know - the other day, before anything "happened", i think i heard a sound like it kept spinning up, winding down, spinning up ...very faint and, brief)
    ...well, now something is definitely wrong because - i *think* the usb cable had stayed in fairly okay but now, either i've damaged the drive by keeping it plugged in for too long periods, or by accidentally pulling the cord out because... now the drive keeps disconnecting itself and will no longer be detected by my computer if the cord is disturbed at all--now so bad, i can't have it on my laptop on my lap or just ~breathing~ will cause it to disconnect. (and, thinking the cord was just loose, i tried to push it in and, THAT caused it to disconnect another time...)
    i've tried to look for info about this problem before asking of you but in my situation it's the, keeping it plugged in for too long periods or accidentally disconnecting the cord, or pushing it in that time that makes me worried i've physically damaged the drive...
    do you think i should try just duct taping the cord in place (but not TOO firmly) and/or a replacement cord .........or do you think i've caused something to come loose and may have really damaged the drive?
    thank you for your wisdom, as ~always~..............

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/827729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice