1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive-Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mountaineer, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mountaineer

mountaineer Thread Starter

Have a question regarding how to get memory off of external drive. I want to delete all memory from my hard drive. How do I do this? Thanks.

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

Memory-------what do you mean by memory---files??????????

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

Right, well to erase your hard drive contents you format the drive or simply delete files using explorer.

As Linski said what do you mean exactly?

By the way I never knew Linski made it out here either :)

4. mountaineer

I am referring to my external hard drive. I went into Disk Management which showed both of my hard drive and I deleted the external one. It dies not show up there any more. Doesn't show up on my computer either. How do I fix it>

5. rmay635703

rmay635703

Ah well that is totally different, by deleting the external hard drive I assume it no longer has drivers installed.

Why did you delete the drive exactly?

Now what OS do you have? Also what are your system specs? What type /brand of external drive do you have, is it USB, firewire, scsi?

Anyway you will need to disconnect the external HD usb cable (assuming its usb) and then reattach it and hopefully it will detect it and install drivers for it, if not things get more complicated.

Also you may have to reformat the drive depending on what all you did to the external drive.

Good Luck

6. mountaineer

Under Disk Management there were 2 drives shown. I clicked on the external one under Volume and it disappeared. It shows up at the bottom of that page and went I go to Add Hardware, it tells me it is already there. It doesn't show up under My Computer as a drive.

I deleted it because it seemed to be a good thing to do at the time!
    I have XP and the drive is connect with a Firewire. I don't know what you mean by System Specs?
    I did disconnect the drive and reconnect it but nothing happened.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How exactly did you "delete it" in Disk Management.

8. mountaineer

I right clicked on the name of the drive under the column Volume.

9. JohnWill

If you deleted the logical drive, you need to partition and format it again.

10. mountaineer

How do I do this?

11. JohnWill

If you did this in Disk Management, it still should appear there, just as "unallocated", Right click on it and partition and format it.

12. mountaineer

That did the trick! Thanks so much. Since I did this when I was trying to delete what was on the disk, how do I delete stuff from this external drive?

13. JohnWill

Well, I suspect if you started with an initialize, partition, and format, you have deleted all the stuff from the drive. :)

14. mountaineer

What I mean is how shouls I in the future delete stuff from this hard drive?

15. JohnWill

If you want to simply delete all of the stuff on a single partition, the quickest way is to go to Disk Management and format that specific drive, and check the "Quick Format" box. In seconds the drive will be totally empty. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/319621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice