External Hard Drive MIA (Pic's to try and help)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mark_08

Hey guys,

I've been using my external hard drive for literally years now without a problem, untill recently when it's started not showing up as a disk drive in 'My Computer'

I thought that it might have uninstalled its self or something of the sort so went to check in the 'device manager' section of the control panel and found that the computer thinks the hard drive is there and "working properly"

(it's a WD 3200JB External USB Device if that helps at all?)

I've tried simple things like uninstalling and re installing but it just gives the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Mark

Have you uninstalled the program for the drive and the drivers?

Try deleting the device in device drivers after you uninstall the software for it. Then reinstalling everything just like it were brand new.

Mark_08

Thanks for the quick reply.

Im not exactly sure what you mean, but i uninstalled it from the 'Driver' tab you can see in the second picture, before re installing it but it hasnt helped at all.

Could there be a virus thats hiding the devise or another way for me to access it?

Im really stumped as to why its hidden from display all of a sudden

mrss

Open the start/run command box and enter "compmgmt.msc" w/o the quotes. Then select the icon marked "disk management".

You should see your drive on the right side, probably w/o a drive letter. Right clicking on it will give you the option to assign a letter.

This happens on my USB drives occasionally when I add/remove USB memory cards. The PC gets confused and a drive loses its letter.

Mark_08

Thanks for the reply. What you said seems to be right, when i opened up the disk managment section i got this:

As you can see from the top red circle the disk doesnt have a letter assigned (like you said) and the black bar next to it in the bottom red circled means "Unallocated."

However when i right click on either part, the only options i get are 'properties' or 'help' neither of which let me allocate a letter to the drive.

Am i clicking on the right part? I think im getting close to solving the problem i just fell at the last hurdle :p

Thanks,
Mark

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online