1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive misbehaving

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by fccabs, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fccabs

fccabs Thread Starter

I'm currently in the process of moving my photo collection from my old pc formatted hard drive to a new mac formatted (FAT) hard drive. I've been dragging folders over from one to the other via finder with no problem but now all of a sudden everything has gone screwy. I set up new folder manually on the mac formatted drive and dragged a picture into it but now the folder keeps disappearing and reappearing and then when i click on the folder the picture has disappeared. Does anyone have any dieas what is going on???

2. fccabs

fccabs Thread Starter

Well I sed the old PC trick of trning the computer and external hard drives off and on again and evrything seems to be fine now. Im a bit worried theres somethig wrong wth my external drive, is there anyway i can check this???

3. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

G'day fccabs,

If the ext HD shows up in Disc Utility then you could test it from there ... click on the ext HDs icon in the left pane and then on the bottom right, click on Verify Disc.

You'll find Disc Utility at:

Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities>Disc Utility

You could also check whether the ext HDs manufacturer has an online test, I know Seagate do but not all manufactures might.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice