1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Not Accessible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmnowac, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmnowac

jmnowac Thread Starter

Below you will find my email communication to the company(Maxtor) that manufactured my external 40GB hard drive. You will also find their response. I would really appreciate it if somebody could confirm their diagnosis and point me in a direction to fix the problem the cheapest way possible. The drive is fairly new(not under warranty) and barely used. There's like 3GB of stuff stored on there(most of which I don't need). However, I have a huge portfolio that I do need, but do not want to pay close to $300 to have an outside company retrieve. How do partitions get deleted? Also, the drive has never been dropped or exposed to heat. In your opinion, is this a manufacturing defect with the drive that will most likely continue to be a problem? Thanks to everybody that reads and ponders and replies to this thread. It is MUCH appreciated!! I used this site once before and had wonderful results :) You've managed to make things clear enough that even with my "beginner" computer skills I can make sense of most directions. Keep up the great work!

Customer 05/30/2005 12:56 PM
    I have a Maxtor 3000LS(Maxtor A RES C64K). When originally installing it(and I had to download the drivers because I have Windows 98SE) months ago, I noticed that it would only be accessible after the computer had been restarted. If the computer had been in use a couple hours, I usually couldn't access files saved to the external drive. For a couple weeks now, the external drive has been completely unaccessible. It still loads in the task bar and detects when I remove it. However, I cannot get to any of the contents of the drive. I've tried downloading the drivers again, but I can't get the New Hardware Wizard to pop up. When I manually start the wizard, it doesn't download the hardware needed or says the best driver has already been installed. According to the information on your website, it is supposed to detect tppfx.inf, but that isn't the one it considers best. Does that have anything to do with this? This drive has been a pain from the beginning, and I would really appreciate it if someone can help me get it in working order. Thank you for your help and time.

Customer 05/30/2005 02:16 PM
    I tried plugging the drive into another computer with Windows XP. Once again, the computer recognized the new hardware, and the icon appeared in the task bar. However, the drive did not have an icon in My Computer. The drive was not an option to save a Word document to either.

Customer 05/30/2005 02:34 PM
    Ok, back on the Windows 98SE computer where I want to use this external drive. I went into the Device Manager under universal serial bus controllers and hard drives. It says Hardware Version: Not Available. The Device Status is "This device is working properly." Under "Driver" it says, "No driver files are required or haven been loaded for this device." I've also tried redownloading the drivers in safe mode. However, under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" under "Drivers" it gives me details on 10 drivers for the product.

Response (TSBrian54) 05/31/2005 12:13 PM
    Dear Janelle:

Thank you for sending your MAXTOR E-mail inquiry.

Since your Maxtor 3000LS drive is detected and the Device Manager reports that the device is working properly, the drive is working fine and you already have the drivers for it installed. If the drive does not appear as a drive letter in My Computer however, that indicates the partition on this drive may have been deleted. Unfortunately, Maxtor does not have any software to repair or recover data from deleted partitions. If you need to recover the data from this drive, I suggest searching on the web for a third party data recovery utility or contacting a data recovery service. For the data recovery information from our web site, please check out the following link.

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=719

Once you have recovered the data from this drive, the drive will need to be repartitioned and formatted in order to become accessible as a drive letter again. The easiest way to partition and format a hard drive in Windows 98SE is with our MaxBlast for Windows software. MaxBlast 4 for Windows can be downloaded from our web site by going to the following link.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=58

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Thank you,
    Maxtor Technical Assistance

2. junker39

junker39

Here's what I would do but you may wait for others to reply with their ideas. I would take the drive out of the external enclosure and hook it up as a slave in the PC. If the system picks it up and your data is readable, then you've got other problems and you can trouble shoot from there. If it's not readable, then Maxtor may be correct. Good luck.

3. jmnowac

jmnowac Thread Starter

Thanks. I might try giving that a shot when I have some time tomorrow. In the meantime, any other suggestions?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you connect it to a 2K/XP system, you can use Disk Management to see what condition the partition(s) are on the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/367310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice