1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Not Accessible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jot2929, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jot2929

jot2929 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am running Windows Vista on a Dell Computer. I have previously used my Toshiba External Hard Drive on the computer, however after i reinstalled windows it does not work.

I connect the USB port from the Hard Drive to the Computer, the light on the Hard Drive turns on. The computer recognized it and installed the proper drivers. When I go to "Computer" I do not see my hard drive in the Hard Drive Section. I however do see a "Removable Disk (U:)" In the "Devices with Removable Storage." I double click the "Removable Disk (U:)" and I receive the following text "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (U:)"

When I click start and right click on "Computer" click Manage I arrive at Computer Management. Under Storage i click on Disk Management and in the bottom portion I see 3 Drives. Disk 0 Basic 74.50GB ONLINE and there are 3 Sections next to that one has no label and says 39MB HEALTHY, the next RECOVERY (D:) 10GB NTFS HEALTHY, and the last one (C:) 64.46GB NTFS HEALTHY. Under Disk 0 I see Disk 1 Removable (U:) No Media. However, when I right click on it and click Properties Toshiba 2.0USB Drive R00 USB DRIVE under device status it says : This Device is working properly.

So I see that my computer does recognize my External Hard drive, but I can not access it at all! This is becoming very frusterating I have tried many solutions on google, however none of them have worked for me!

Please help me access it..

Thanks in advance!

2. jot2929

jot2929 Thread Starter

PLEASE Help I am in desperate need of the drive!

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    HAve you tried the drive on a different computer?

4. jot2929

jot2929 Thread Starter

yes i have it does work on another computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/854383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice