1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not being recognized as preferred drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mburgess3126, Nov 6, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Mburgess3126

Mburgess3126 Thread Starter

A few months ago I setup my 2TB external hard drive as the designated drive to save new app, documents, programs, etc...It also acts as the drive where my desktop icons are stored. Everything has been working as it should until a few ago. When I start up are restart my computer none of my desktop icons show up and I have an error message that says there was a problem loading "desktop". The message also states to check and see if the files have been moved or insert a disk. Now that being said the only problem I am currently having is the desktop icons not loading properly. The external drive still shows up in "My Computer" and is still assigned as the designated drive to save information. I have no problems saving, moving, or viewing files from the external hard drive, but it is bothersome that my desktop icons and shortcuts do not appear. Is there a way to fix this problem without having to format the drive as there are several hundred Gb of data currently on the drive?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You stated the drive is still recognized and useable, but does it still have the same drive letter?

3. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

4. Mburgess3126

Mburgess3126 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.....I was able to fix the problem by going into the system and assigning where I wanted the computer to draw the "desktop" file from. My PC was trying to pull the desktop file from (D): where it was never located to begin with. After assigning it to (F:\Desktop) the problem was solved. Ultimately you can have the PC load the file from wherever you assign it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice