1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not being recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by butterfly5060, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butterfly5060

butterfly5060 Thread Starter

I' trying to use an Inland brand Sata to USB adapter to access files from a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 hard drive from a Dell computer that crashed yesterday. Below is the new desktop computer. The Seagate hard drive is not listed in 'THIS PC' under devices and drivers. Is the hard drive dead, or am I missing another cable needed to accomplish this?

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 8070 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (897 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire TC-885
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

To determine if the problem lies with the Seagate hard drive or the Inland SATA-to-USB adapter, connect the Seagate directly to the Acer Aspire TC-885 motherboard and PSU. Then power the Acer up, enter the BIOS Setup and see if the drive is detected. The BIOS must be able to see it before any Operating System will be able to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice