1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not being shown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim624, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

Just got a Seagate 80GB hard drive......going to use it as an external drive. I connected it to my enclosure and it shows up in Device manager but does not show up on My Computer........what am I doing wrong.... I have other external drives that work just fine. Is there something about the jumpers I need to change ???
    Win XP Pro

Jim

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Locate the drive and right click on it. You can Initialize, Partition, and Format it there. It will then appear in My Computer like any other drive.

3. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

Thanks....formatting as we speak !!

4. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

Did what you said......but when I try to format it it says "Windows could not complete the format" and windows cannot format thsi disk.....it is showing in Device manager and in My COmputer.....but it does not want to format

5. JohnWill

There could be something about the drive, perhaps it's defective? I can't say, but with a properly working USB/Firewire drive, that process should format it without any issue. Did you check the event log and see if there's any clue there?

6. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

How would I check the event log ??? This is starting to aggravate me......this was a new in the box sealed 80GB hard drive.......

What is your email address so we can work this out quicker !!!

Mine is [email protected]

7. pronute

pronute

Pull the configuaration jumper caps (master / slave/ cable select) out and leave them out, this is what I had to do with my external drive.

8. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

I've movd the jumper all over the place........still won't format

9. winbob

winbob

Think outside the BOX. Install the drive internally and partition/format it. THEN put it back in the enclosure and see what happens.

10. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

I had to format it in my ole Compaq.........

11. winbob

winbob

Jim,

And here we wait with baited breath....what's the final result? :confused:

12. pronute

pronute

Before you put it back in the enclosure, you still have to remove the jumper cap so it can be reconized as a external drive.

13. winbob

winbob

Pronute,

What is behind the story about removing the jumper? I don't use external drives at this point so haven't come across that before. Would you still do that if the normal Single/Master config called for a jumper to be on???

Did that documentation come with your enclosure?

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Most external drives that I've seen want the jumper set to Master. So far, that has always worked for me.....

15. JohnWill

The removing the jumper confused me too. All the external drive cases I've used (quite a few) have specified jumpering as master. According to this Seagate Jumpering Diagram, no jumpers sets the drive to slave. :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice