1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pihstone, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Pihstone

Pihstone Thread Starter

Hi, my external drive is not recognised by my laptop, which only recognises Local G drive but not the external drive itself. The light on the external drive keeps flashing. This is the first time this issue happens. I have all important files saved on this external drive. I'm receiving a pop-up notification to format my G drive. Could you please advise me on what to do?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, IF the data is important to you, you make backups. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when the drive will fail.
    As to your problem. Have you tried the drive in another system? If not, that is the very first thing to do. Next some [not all] external drives are simply an internal drive in a housing. You can remove the drive and connect it as an internal drive in a desktop system. We have no idea what external drive you are using so this may or may not be an option.

It would really help if you posted the exact external drive you are using.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice