1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not recognized anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zalder, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zalder

Zalder Thread Starter

Hi. I have an external hard drive from WD (MyBook 3.0 1 TB) that has been working (almost) perfectly since I got it, approximately half a year ago. The only problem was that the usb connector seemed quite loose and I sometimes needed to reconnect it for the hard drive to work. Now, for some reason, a few days ago, I had to reconnect it on the hard drive's end and I had to force it a bit. Even after that, everything worked. Then, a day or two later, I see a message from windows telling me "I could get more speed if I connected the drive to a USB 3.0 port" (or something like that)(btw, it was connected in a USB 3.0 port). Since then, I haven't been able to get the hard drive to be recognized by Windows for more than 5 or 10 seconds. I have succeeded by pressing on the hard drive's connector but now it just seems like the port is completely loose inside the external hard drive (which means that I basically can't seem to get the cable completely plugged in the port). Also, after a few tries at reconnecting it, the computer started to shut down every time I connect the hard drive to the computer.

I have tried connecting it to other usb ports, although not on a different computer. I don't have access to another computer right now but I will try it as soon as I can.

My laptop is an Asus N61JQ-X1 and my OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Zalder

Zalder Thread Starter

I found the problem... The port is actually not connected to the drive anymore. That means the port sometimes comes with the cable when I plug and unplug it. It seems pretty bad but at least the actual drive doesn't seem to be damaged. Is there anyway to make it work again, or at least to recuperate the data without some expensive data recovery ? Thanks.

3. eberlysystems

eberlysystems

I had a little trouble following your outline, but it sounds like (at the very least) you damaged the connector, or even the computer's USB port(s).

It's very possible that the drive is intact yet. You can either take it to your local Computer shop to pull the data off, or head over to your favorite Online Electronics retailer for an IDE/SATA to USB adapter. Or, if your ports aren't working at all with any USB devices, and you have a Firewire port, you could even get a Firewire to IDE/SATA adapter.

Data on an external drive is store unencrypted in standard formats (unless you specifically encrypted or purchased an Encrypted external drive) - you can remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it via an adapter, OR place it directly inside your computer and use it as a normal internal hard drive.

4. Zalder

Zalder Thread Starter

Indeed, the problem seems to be with the connector. It seems like it has come off the drive when I tried to plug the cable in it. There is no other port on the hard drive except for the power supply. So I'm wondering if fixing this will be complicated.

Also, I'm pretty sure that opening the hard drive's enclosure will void my warranty. So if there's any way to fix it without opening it, it would be great.

5. eberlysystems

eberlysystems

Well, your options concerning warranty are pretty simple - send it back for repair (which will work if it's the Drive's USB that is damaged), or open it and figure it out yourself, and void the warranty.

I wouldn't trust WD with the drive unless I could get my data off of it first. Service Centers are notorious for not caring about user's data, and wiping drives to return them in "optimum" condition.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/960555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice