1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not recognized by My Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NeedsHelpPlease, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeedsHelpPlease

NeedsHelpPlease Thread Starter

I have an 80 gig external hard drive (simpletech) that is not eing recognized by My Computer. I recently got this new laptop and all my old songs from my other comp. are on this disk, so it is important to keep the files, and not format. My device manager shows an Unknown Device but i cannot figure out what to do. I have also gone through the my computer 'manage' key, and it shows an unlabeled drive, but i am unable to rename or edit the drive. please help.

thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Does the drive work when connected to another computer? That's the first thing to check.

3. NeedsHelpPlease

i do not have another computer to check on.. it used to work on the one i have but stopped.

4. sliderule

sliderule

Tell us what happens when you connect the external hard drive to your new rig and post any error messages here. I had a similar problem when I connected my external hard drive (and flash drives) to a friend's computer and solved it by adding a *.dll file to her operating system.

5. NeedsHelpPlease

everything was working fine until one day i connected the hard drive and all that comes up is the 'safely remove hardware' deal in the bottom right corner of the screen, the drive did not show up in the 'my computer'. thats all that happens when i plug it in, besides my computer slowing down.

6. JohnWill

OK, now we're getting somewhere. Can you post a screen shot of exactly what you see in Disk Management?

7. NeedsHelpPlease

i have figured out that the blank drive in the 'disk management' is not my external hard drive, because the capacity is not correct.
    something new i have tried is plug in my 1 gig memory chip and that works fine.. so the problem lies within the hard drive or settings on the computer; i think.

Attached Files:

• pic.bmp
      File size:
      197.1 KB
      Views:
  8. JohnWill

Your screen shot didn't make it.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If that is the case about the screenshot, it doesn't sound like the drive is recognized or have a drive letter assigned.

If you go into Disk Management, do you see it listed there ever?

Do you still have that friend's computer to try connecting it to that you mentioned in your second post?

11. JohnWill

I edited the post in question to see what happened, and the screen shot is posted as a BMP. I have no idea why IE6 doesn't show me the BMP, but it doesn't. OTOH, in looking at the screen shot, I'd look in Device Manager and see what it says about the drive.

Bob, the screen shot is Disk Management, and it's not there. :)

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Then hopefully they have their friend's computer they used before available or even one they can take to a computer store to test out. Most are willing to help.

13. NeedsHelpPlease

actually i do see the drive show up for a split second every time i disconnect the drive form the computer. the drive info will flash up on the screen abd then vanish, that probably wont help anything, but heres another screen shot.

Attached Files:

14. JohnWill

How about a screen shot of any errors in Device Manager?

15. NeedsHelpPlease

heres the device manager screen shot:

anything else???

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/500053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice