1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive not recognized -> now more USB problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bigeyedphish, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigeyedphish

bigeyedphish Thread Starter

both my externals are perfectly fine....they work on my other computer. Originally when i plugged them into my laptop the Found New Hardware wizard would startup, but be unable to do anything. I searched (and actually posted in another solved thread) and ended up doing this:

i did that and rebooted twice, but now the USB ports don't work at all. The Found New Hardware wizards opens up automatically after booting up even when there is absolutely nothing plugged in.
    please help!

thank you!!

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are there any motherboard drivers needed for the USB ports?

3. bigeyedphish

thanks for the reply
    im not sure.... i kind of assumed that the reason for uninstalling all that stuff was so windows would automatically notice and reinstall them.

is there a way to find that out?

4. bigeyedphish

in device manger USB controllers is back (it dissappeared once i uninstalled everything) and says its working properly. There are also a bunch of "other devices" or "unknown devices" (the yellow ? marks) that say they are not configured properly

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Did you load all the drivers for the motherboard. Basically what you are experiencing is what happens when you have hardware where the drivers are not included with the operating system and need to be installed manually. This is nothing new.

6. bigeyedphish

hmm...
    this is a laptop, so the drivers were already installed. Looks like I need to find the drivers...
    thanks for your help!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice