1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clinton86, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clinton86

Clinton86 Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2, x86 Family 15 Model 72 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1982 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 87196 MB, Free - 59738 MB; D: Total - 8181 MB,
    Motherboard: Wistron, 30B5

Hi everyone,
    OK so i was running Vista on this computer and everything was starting to run extremely slow, IE and safari would hang and the only way to fix that was to close all programs and start again.
    I'd done numerous amount of scans using AVG, Spybot, Adaware, i'd done Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragment programs, the last i tried was chkdsk. i left it go overnight. the next morning Windows would not boot up at all, it got to the black screen with the arrow in the centre and that was it. i also left it on that overnight (i read that after chkdsk windows may take some time to boot) to find the next morning still on that same screen.
    I do leave the laptop on pretty much 24/7 as were always using it,

I replaced the drive and installed a fresh copy of XP to get me going and purchased an external hard drive housing to try and recover the data off the Vista drive. when i plug it in the drive does the installing drivers part then when i go to my computer, its not there. I've also looked in Device manager and its not there (except when i unplug it, it flashes for a second then disappears) it doesn't show in disk management either,

Do i have a corrupt drive? Can i try to run chkdsk /f on the drive (thats not visible)?

The reason i ran vista in the first place was because i got a WD MyBook 1TB drive and XP wouldn't recognize it. could this also be why the drive isn't showing up, the new external drive software are only suitable for vista and 7?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
    Thank you in advance
    Clinton

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice