1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LadyRogue, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LadyRogue

LadyRogue Thread Starter

My husband just recently noticed that one of his hard drives was not being recognized by the computer. We've tried unplugging and replugging it from both the computer and the hard drive itself, turning the power on and off, restarting the computer, and testing it in my computer. I know it's still working as the computer makes the 'Ding' noise of something being connected, but then the drive doesn't show up in the 'Computer' folder. Unfortunately, he's not sure what make or model it is as there are no markings at all on the HD. Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Has it been bumped or dropped?

Does it appear in Device Manager or Disk Management?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

or go to Start > Run, and type:

diskmgmt.msc

3. raybro

raybro

Have you tried the external on another computer?

Another possibility is the external enclosure electronics may be at fault. If the computer is a desktop, you might try removing the HDD from the enclosure and installing it in the tower as secondary master.

4. LadyRogue

LadyRogue Thread Starter

We did try testing the HDD on my computer with the same results. We went to disk management and could not see the hard drive, however when my husband went to Devices and Printers he found it there (it's a LaCie 500 gb, by the way) and it appeared with the yellow triangle warning symbol. When he clicked on it and went under Hardware and Properties, the status said "This device cannot start. (Code 10)." Any idea what that means? Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice