1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YaoiPrince, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YaoiPrince

YaoiPrince Thread Starter

Hello, I have a Seagate 2TB Free Agent GoFlex Desk external hard drive. I had this drive for only about 4 months & while carrying it, I slipped & the drive fell about 2 feet. I now get only intermittent beeping when I try to hook it up & the computer does not recognize the drive, except only once under device manager as a generic usb volume. I had started the process of backing it up last night, but simply decided to go to bed after getting some of it done. I have tried most of the basic steps, but thus far have not been able to get any success accessing my files.
    1. Tried re-starting the computer & drive, no success.
    2. Tried removing the hard drive from the encasing & hooking it up with a SATA to USB cable, no success.
    3. Tried hooking it up internally to a desktop computer, no success.
    4. Tried any number of software tools (including seatools & PC file inspector recovery) no success.

I find myself wondering if my data is truly irretrievable. I would be most grateful if anyone can help. Oh, & I did try looking for the solution in any number of thread posts on many forums, still no success.

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Well it wasn't an SSD, so it's probably broke after a two foot drop....There are businesses who specialize in Data retrieval and it's not cheap...How much is your Data worth to you?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice