1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrvince, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrvince

mrvince Thread Starter

Finally bought new computers. took old xp sp3 hard drive and turned into external drive. plugged it in and it powered up. plugged into laptop with xp sp3 installed. got the two beep tones, said it recognized new hardware, installed drivers, said it was ready to go. went to my computer. nothing was listed. went to device mgr.,saw external hard drive listed as no problems,ran trouble shoot, came back as working.still not listed in my computer.clicked on safely remove hard ware. It was listed there. removed it and rebooted and tried again, with the same results.any ideas on what i might be doing wrong or what is missing. Thanks for any help, mrvince

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Does it show in Disk Management ? If it does what does it say about it.

3. mrvince

mrvince Thread Starter

Allan,Thanks for your quick reply. here is what i have done so far. went to disk management, it shows up with no yellow notifications. says it is running, when i troubleshoot it comes up as no problems. I right clicked on my computer went to disk management, both hard drives show up,only one has a letter assigned to it ( the c drive ) both say active.It was suggested the i change the jumpers to master, I did and now the drive will not even power up. put the jumpers back to the original settings and still will not power up. I think something irreversible has happened. mrvince

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Can you get another Usb caddy or adapter to try ?

5. Claus098

Claus098

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE CAN NOT BE RECOGNIZED?
    THE MOST COMMON THING IS DATA LOSS. HAVE YOU EVER TRIED ANY DATA RECOVERY SOFTWARE?
    IF NOT, WHY DON'T YOU TRY 4CARD RECOVERY?
    http://www.4[/COLOR]cardrecovery.com/howto/sd-card-format-recovery.html‎
    [/FONT]​

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice