1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BML, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

I've got an external hard drive that plugs into the computer via USB. When I plug it in, windows says "found new hardware" and "hardware is ready to use".

But when I open windows Explorer or "open" and try to access something on the drive, it does not show up. The whole drive does not show up.

If I open windows defragmenter, or Partition Expert, it does show this drive as Drive "L", capacity 57gb used 42gb. So it is seeing it. Why can't windows see it so that I can use it?

This drive is a regular internal IDE H/D which is mounted in an external case. Last time I used it (to copy a backup to) it was fine.

Bruce

2. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

Have you tried it on another computer? What is your OS and and what format does the drive use?

3. BML

BML Thread Starter

I dont have another computer to try it on....OS is win XP Home, SP2. Drive is formatted NTFS. It does show up in windows' computer Management and system info with no errors and also shows up in the BIOS as a hard disk drive and a removable drive. It just doesn't show up in Explorer or anywhere where I can save to or read from this drive.

Also, I tried swapping USB cables with the one that goes to my printer since my printer works. That didn't help.

If I open disk manager in Computer Management and right click on this external drive, it gives me the option to "explore" which open up an explorer window and shows all the files on this drive, so its definitely there. But I can't copy to or from it. And, I did try deleting my USB Host Controller drivers and re-installing. That didnt' help.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try assigning it a drive letter in Disk Management. Right click on the graphic and select the option.

5. BML

BML Thread Starter

It was automatically assigned the letter "L" upon plugging in the USB cable, and I even changed it to "M" and that didn't help. I also tried booting into safe mode to see if it would come up, and it still didn't.

I use the partition program called partition Expert, and it shows up in there. i used that program to create a new partition on the drive (not delete the one that was there) and although it shows two partitions now in windows management, they still cant be seen.

6. JohnWill

If it has a drive letter and it's not showing up in My Computer, perhaps someone used TweakUI to remove some of the drive letters visibility in My Computer. Try installing it and seeing if they're all marked as visible. It's available on this page at Microsoft: Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

7. BML

BML Thread Starter

THANKS JOHN! As Randy on American Idol would say, "Dawg, you Rock!" :) I installed the TweakUI and under "my computer" no drive letters beyond "J" were checked. As soon as I checked them, it showed up!

Funny thing is, I have no idea how it got like that. I never had TweakUI installed on this computer. Can other programs do that? Example, I do have System Mechanic 6 but I don't recall seeing any option in there to hide drive letters.

8. SirTK

SirTK It's My Birthday!

Not a reply, just a new person having similar trouble. My Freecom Classic HD does not show up in My Computer. I did the TweakUI thing and in my case all the drive letters were checked. I went into New Hardware, the drive is shown in the list. I selected it and it told me that he drive is working fine. Which it may be, but I can't access it.
    The history is that I have been trying to get the drive to be readable and writable by my Mac as well as the PC (it used to work fine with the PC but would only read on the Mac. Now it's not recognised by either machine).
    Such is life - this forum is last chance saloon before the dratted thing gets thrown into the bin. Any offers?

Terry

9. JohnWill

I think some other utilities hide those drives, this isn't the first time I've seen this. That's why I think of it. :D

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

John Will, I have to tell you that catch was awesome!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice