1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by headdesk, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. headdesk

headdesk Thread Starter

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a Seagate 320gb external hard drive, which was working fine up until today when I accidently dropped it *slaps self*. As a result of it falling, the usb cable was pulled out rather roughly. It wasn't switched on when I dropped it, so I hoped it would be ok, but when I started it up and plugged it in to the computer the usb "device has malfunctioned" message came onscreen and that was it. Nothing happened. Now my computer won't recognise it at all when it is plugged in, despite the fact that the hard drive itself does seem to be working, green light on, powering up as normal, no weird noises or the like. I have tried using it on two different computers with different usb cables but nothing is happening. Anyone know if this can be fixed? If it can't, is there any possible way for me to get my files back? I have about 180 gb of stuff on the drive at the moment, including some important university work. :(

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

That suggests the cable is damaged. Try another cable while we hope it isn't the usb port itself.

3. headdesk

headdesk Thread Starter

Looks like the cable isn't the problem - I've just tried two others and still... nothing.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The very first thing I would do would be to pull the drive from the enclosure and connect it as an internal drive. The eliminates the enclosure as a source of the problem. If you can access the drive now, great copy what you want. If you cannot access the drive, you can try data recovery software, run chkdsk /r, etc to attempt to access the drive.

FWIW data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/604097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice