1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by designed, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. designed

designed Thread Starter

any suggestions if my external is not coming up in windows xp sp2? Its a western digital 500 gb. I have extremely important data on there that I cant lose!!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does the drive appear in Device Manager or Disk Management?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

3. designed

designed Thread Starter

no it doesnt show up in either. I tried a different cable and all the usb ports.

4. Hughv

Hughv

I got a call for this problem last week, and went to the guy's house and turned on the power switch.
    If this drive has lights, do they come on?
    Can you hear the drive spin up?
    I've had problems with the enclosure circuitry failing. If the drive isn't spinning up, you may need to get a new enclosure. On Elvandil's advice, all the enclosures I get nowadays are aluminum for better cooling.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice