1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by puterproblemz, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puterproblemz

puterproblemz Thread Starter

Okay, so this is driving me crazy because ALL of my important files are on my external hard drive and I need some answers. :eek:

I recently recovered my computer (Acer Aspire, Windows Vista) because of viruses and like I always do, I unplugged my external hard drive and it was working fine before I recovered.

When I log back on afterwards, my computer says it recognized there was new hardware plugged in (makes the sound it does and even installed drivers) but when I tried to pulled up my hard drive in Computer, the driver letter didn't pop up. I tried plugging it into my roomate's computer and it did the same thing.

I tried going to Device Manager and there was nothing there to work with HOWEVER when I went to Computer Management > Disk Drives, it shows my hard drive there and says it's enabled. I don't understand what's going on but if I can't get my hard drive to work again, is there someway I can recovery my files because I need them!!!! Any help would be appreciated!

2. Amien

Amien

If this drive can be removed from its caseing you can connect as a secondary drive to your PC. This will atleast allow you to copy all information from the drive. Obviously if this is an ATA drive for laptops then you need to buy a convertor.

3. puterproblemz

It's as USB drive. Does that make any difference?

4. Alessia-C

Alessia-C

Just in case you have not read my thread on practically the same issue, I may have found a solution and suggest you try it just in case it works for you.

My external drive is a 320 Gb Western Digital Essential. Unlike your problem, Vista does recognise it and it runs perfectly ...for maybe 2 or 3 days and then suddenly, for no apparent reason, it disappears from Windows Explorer. Often this happens when I'm running a backup to it hence losing me the data, but sometimes it just happens when the drive is idle.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it appears that WD drives do not like sharing a crowded multiple socket adaptor, when used with Vista. Somebody suggested plugging it into a plug socket all by itself so I turned it off, got an extension lead, and plugged it into an empty socket in another room. As soon as I fired it up the drive was once again recognised whereas unplugging it and changing socket on the same adaptor never worked.

I do NOT know if the drive will remain recognised yet because I only did this a few minutes ago. I will have to wait 2 or 3 days to see if Vista decides to expel it again but, you can try this yourself and see if your drive is recognised.

Incidentally, which brand is it?

5. puterproblemz

It's a Seagate USB 3.0 drive. It has been working perfectly for months and months now and I have recovered with it before but I will try what you recommend and see what happens. Just need an extension cord first. Ha.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice