1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive not recognized...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gallagwar, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gallagwar

gallagwar Thread Starter

OK... I had an accident the other day with my WD Passport 120 GB USB drive. I've had the drive for two years and it's never given me problems. Well, unfortunately, I dropped it accidentally at work and Windows is no longer recognizing it. All I really care about is being able to recover my files.

When I plug in the drive, it makes a series of whining sounds unlike any I've heard before (I'm accustomed to clicks, but not this buzzing whine). After a few moments, Windows recognizes a "USB Mass Storage Device", but does not AutoRun the drive and does not assign it a drive letter. The drive is powered up, as the blue light shines. I simply cannot access it.

The drive is not appearing in disk management, though "USB Device" does show up under device manager. After right clicking on USB Device, I choose properties. Under General, it indicates it as a disk drive with no manufacturer information at "Location 0". It states that the device is working properly. Under Volumes, all fields are blank. When I click "Populate", it states "Disk: Unknown, Type: Unknown, Status: Unreadable, Partition Style: Not Applicable, Capacity: 0 MB, Unallocated Space: 0 MB, Reserved Space: 0 MB". Clearly, there is a connectivity issue.

I've also run a chkdsk on the drive letter typically assigned to the drive with no results. I've plugged the drive into both my home and work desktops and my laptop with the same results. I've tried different USB cables with the same results. I've removed the protective cover and looked over the parts and nothing seems to be broken or out of place.

Again, All I care about is being able to recover my files. This drive contained about 70 GB of music, plus my wedding pictures, personal documents, and research for a book I'm writing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice