1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeesSqueeze, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeesSqueeze

DeesSqueeze Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario w/ AMD Athlon XP300+ processor @ 2.17 GHz, and 448 Mb RAM, running XP with all the updates. I bought a 160 Gb extrnal drive to back up some files. During an AVG system check, I discovered the hard way that my USB port, the one that the hard drive was plugged into, has an intermittent short, which resulted in a write error to the external drive. The 'safely remove hardware' was on. Now, I can't access the drive. The drive is getting power - the green light glows and the device hums. I have tried everything which has appeared on this site regarding Device Manager, etc., without success. I have plugged the drive into another computer - a Toshiba laptop - and it isn't recognized there, either. How can I get my drive, and the data stored thereon, back?

Thanks...
    Roy

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    There may be other solutions/fixes but I have had one external that "died". I opened the case, removed the HD itself and installed it into a computer. The HD itself was still working, but apparently the electronics circuit board in the external case had died. I had to spend another few dollars to replace the external case.

3. DeesSqueeze

DeesSqueeze Thread Starter

Thank you. I will try that ASAP. "Fast forum", he said, gratefully.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice