1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chicoboss, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chicoboss

chicoboss Thread Starter

Hi all,

This is the issue:

It is a dell inspiron 500m, i'm trying to connect a new WD external drive250 (wd2500me) gb on it. but the external hard drive is not recognized by the pc. I tested it on another pc and it is working well, i also test the usb ports on the 500m and worked well with usb sticks.

i contacted dell and told me that the harddisk is not supported, i need to get another external or another motherboard ...ppfffff

aslo this external doesn't required drivers..
    after trying several times i got a message that said something about low voltage or something..

anyone who can help me?

2. chicoboss

chicoboss Thread Starter

still unsolved

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like your USB port is not putting out enough power. Unplug all other USB devices, and try other ports. You may need to buy a powered USB hub to run it on that machine.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Is this a Powered Harddrive or a 2.5" hardrive - Havent looked it up
    I have a 2.5 that uses two USB connections to get max power off the USB
    otherwise all my external drives are plugged in mains

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. chicoboss

chicoboss Thread Starter

it is a powered harddrive , it came with only one plug usb cable..i allready unpluggled everthing and still have the problem.. i will try to find a Y-usbcable to get max power off the USB , i may have one at home.... thnx for the help.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    If its a powered drive - the USB should not be a problem...But if you have a lead certainly worth a try

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't make your own unless you know what you are doing. Those double cables have 2 different connectors. One is the full USB and the other is just for power. You will short something if you use 2 USB full connectors.

9. chicoboss

chicoboss Thread Starter

hahahahah... thank god i didn't connect them yet :p.. i have one of those cable.// one of them says power and the other data... but what should i do then?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

You have a "Y" connector? If one is data and one power, then that is right. Where did it come from?

One connector to the computer should have 4 wires on it, if you can see them, red and black (to 2 outside conductors inside the USB connector) for power, and green and white for data (the 2 inside conductors). The other should be just for power with only red and black. So, you have one data (green and white) and two power (red and black).

If you made the cable, you just need to cut the white and green on one of them.

11. chicoboss

chicoboss Thread Starter

it came with a seagate external, so it should be save to connect it with this wd external to give it more power?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, that will do it all right.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice