1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kirah, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirah

kirah Thread Starter

Hi I am totally new to this but figure my blonde brain will be able to fix the problem if it is possible. I have an HP notebook dv 9700 PC, however the problem lies with my external hard drive, Being blonde...:) I dropped it on a hard floor and my computer will no longer detect it. I'm sure this question has been posted many times and sorry to bring it up again, but I have been reading through so many posts on so many sites and have found nothing that seems to work for me. Any suggestions? Thank you so much-Kirah

2. maceman

maceman

Hi Kirah,

What kind of hard drive you're talking about? Is there any light when you connect it?

3. Hughv

Hughv

Hard drives seldom survive this kind of accident.
    You can try removing it from the case and connecting it via USB cable or internally, but it doesn't look good.

4. kirah

kirah Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, there is a light on when I turn it on, my computer no longer recognizes it. I do not remember what type of hard drive it is and there is nothing written on the casing, just a metal jacket. Does this mean my data is lost forever? Or can it be repaired or extracted in a shop? it is a terrabyte almost full:(

5. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

You might have damaged the SATA to USB card inside. You might be able to remove the drive and either use an external SATA enclosure or attach it internally

6. kirah

kirah Thread Starter

Thanks, I wish I knew what you were talking about, I'm not too sure about taking apart my computer...I would not know where to begin. I'll look into it. Thanks again.

7. Hughv

Hughv

Take the drive to a shop. They can remove it from the case and test it.

8. kirah

kirah Thread Starter

Thank you, I'm guessing that is my only chance.

Kirah

9. popsrural

popsrural

Here is a solution that worked for me:
    If you know your USB port is functional proceed
    click on start button, right click on computer, left click on manage, a new screen will eventually appear, left click on disk management, You should see your drives identified on a scree beginning with Disk 0, If you do not see your external drive = trouble, you should see your external drive listed for me it was Drive 1, If the 'OPEN' tag is in dark letters click on it otherwise click on words that say something like make active, if this works you should see a option to assign drive letter click on it and wait a few moments and you should be good to go. The computer will assign a drive letter and your drive is now back in business.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice