1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xico, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

I have a sata 500 GB hard drive from Seagate that just won't get recognized. I've been in Disk Management, I've scanned the disk, I've rebooted, and Disk 1 is there, but the message is it's offline--and after I did the reboot I got the message that the hard drive USB had been recognized--but it ain't there. Or at least I can't get into it. Rats!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

btw I already have over a 100 GBs of back up on this hard drive.

Thanks,

xico

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you mean by "scanned the disk"?

Does it appear in Disk Management? What does DM say about it? If not in Disk Management, is it in Device manager?

Have you tried it on another computer?

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya xico.

Just a thought ... Is you system built on FAT32 or NTFS and do you know if the USB drive is FAT32 or NTFS?

FAT systems often won`t read NTFS data on a disk even though it recognises there`s a disk there.

Jenny

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Completely wrong. XP, Vista, and 7 will read any FAT or FAT32 file system regardless of its own file system, on FAT32 or NTFS. It's only a difference like that of storing a file in a drawer rather than a cabinet. The file is the same. Any modern operating system can read NTFS or FAT and any with the proper drivers no matter how old.

5. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Sorry to seem incorrect and with 40k+ posts, I`m certainly not going to argue with you but I`ve known problems with an XP system on FAT32 not reading an NTFS partition and I thought I`d offer that little nugget in case it struck a chord with anyone.

Jenny

6. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thanks Evandil and Jenny! :D

I didn't try it on another computer, but I had an external harddrive container, and when that didn't work I put it in a dock, and that didn't work either. Okay, so I'll try another computer.
    The scanning was done thru Disk Management. I went to Computer Management -->Disk Management-->Action-->Rescan Disks.

It's been a while back since I used it, but I've done a few backups with it. The last time I used it I had some trouble getting it to get itself recognized, and I thought I had cured the problem. Evidently I didn't. :( I will check it out on the other computer.

Thanks again Evandil and Jenny! (y)

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP on FAT32 always reads NTFS perfectly well unless there is something wrong with the drive or file system. Whether an operating system "sees" any other file system has absolutely nothing to do with where it itself is located or what file system it uses. Never did.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That particular "rescan disks" doesn't really "scan" anything--it simply refreshes the detected disks in case one wasn't picked up when DM first opened, or a new one has been connected. So, did the disk appear in Disk Management and/or Device Manager?

If it dependably appears in Device Manager, for example, it may be a problem with the partition structure rather than the hardware.

9. xico

xico Thread Starter

Okay, I put the hard drive on the motherboard instead of using the USB drive and the docking station. It comes up as disk 1, in Disk Management. It's not a FAT 32, but NTFS. But it's not coming up in My Computer or in Explorer. And it's registering as Healthy. It and C Drive are in the Device Manager. I rebooted, but nothing else happens.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice