1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not recognized?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xxatticus, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxatticus

xxatticus Thread Starter

Today I was using my Sata external harddrive like i always do. It was plugged into my Macbook and I was editing something in final cut. I had to eat dinner so I ejected my drive like usual and closed my laptop. After dinner i plugged my external back in to continue editing the project and an error message popped up saying "This drive is not readable" or something similar. I plugged it into my XP system and i went to Disk utilities and the drive is recognized but it says its empty. How can that be possible? All i did was unplug the thing. When I try and click on hte drive it tells me I need to format it. I had about 140 G of files on there, is there anything I can do (if the drive needs to be formatted) to get those files off?

Thanks

2. srhoades

srhoades

Sounds like the partition table is corrupt. Look for free data recovery software that will recover deleted partitions and you should be able to recover it. You will need to recover it to another drive, not the existing one.

3. xxatticus

xxatticus Thread Starter

any software suggestions? this is the second hard drive that's been corrupt in the past week for me.

4. vicks

vicks

5. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  6. xxatticus

xxatticus Thread Starter

okay i tried this recuva program and it did detect my files and it can recover them. but it doesnt recover the folders they were in and didnt detect most of my videos so everything would be so out of place and it would take me forever to sort it again. too many things boot from specific paths from this hard drive and i'd have to relocate everything. if i burn this test disk option above onto a disk can i view my hard drive in the condition it was in (folders and everything)? also, since this program did detect my files, this means they're there still and not gone like windows is telling me, is there anyway i can repair the initial problem? which is the fact that the drive isnt recognized?

7. xxatticus

xxatticus Thread Starter

just a little update here. i booted up an iso image called parted magic which is a partitioning tool and it detected my hard drive and my external so im currently transferring the folders via this tool. if anyone has any knowledge about parted magic could i simply repair my hard drive's partition table using this utility? it has a bunch of tools but i dont know what they do.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/945498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice