external hard drive not setting up on Acer laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jb24

Hi,
I have an Acer Aspire 3003 laptop with XP Home and I am trying to connect a Hitachi Deskstar 160Gb internal disk drive to it via a Raid Icy Box enclosure. I had the drive as a slave in another PC with XP Pro and it worked fine, I now want to use the data stored from then on my laptop. When I connect to the laptop the drive is recognised but nothing else happens, I cannot see it 'my computer' in windows explorer but it is listed in the device manager.

I have tried a different drive in the icy box and that worked fine. I have tried different jumper conections (master, cable, slave, none) and I get the same results.

Any help is always appreciated.

jb24

Yes I have checked in disk manager and a letter is assigned to the drive

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's hard to believe it gets assigned a drive letter in Disk Management, yet doesn't show up in My Computer.

dustyjay

Jay
did you leave the drive set as slave as it was in the other pc? If so try changing the jumper to Master.

jb24

Apologies, that should have said "Yes I have checked in disk manager and a letter is NOT assigned to the drive".

Dustyjay, as I said in my original post I have tried all jumper settings.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Did you try to assign it a drive letter in Disk Management? What does Disk Management say about the drive? Is it formatted?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts