1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard drive not showing all the space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greatbolshy, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greatbolshy

greatbolshy Thread Starter

i have a seagate backup plus 5 tb drive that's around 3 months old and has worked fine up until now. something happened, no idea what, but now it shows almost no free space. the drive is completely empty, and it only has 236 kb of available drive space. i've looked in disk management and everything looks fine there. all 4600 gb is showing up. when i try adding a file over 236 kb, it says there's not enough space. formatting the drive didn't help. currently using fat, but i tried formatting ntfs and it said windows was unable to complete the format. anyone got any suggestions?

i already tried dashboard and seatools. it passed the dashboard test. on seatools i did the fix all>long option. after 40% it failed. it suggested that "long generic" was the issue and that i should try running that test. long generic passed without any problems. it took about 12 hours to get to 40% on the long test before it failed, so running that test again to see if the same thing happens could take awhile

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Try deleting the partition(s) in Disk Management, then create a new single partition and try formatting.

3. greatbolshy

already tried that

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In Disk Management right click the drive at lower left (where it says DiskN and N=0,1,2 etc) then click Properties and on Volume tab is Partition Style shown as MBR or GPT ?

6. greatbolshy

GPT

7. greatbolshy

completely forgot to mention the fact that i already tried dashboard and seatools. it passed the dashboard test. on seatools i did the fix all>long option. after 40% it failed. it suggested that "long generic" was the issue and that i should try running that test. long generic passed without any problems. it took about 12 hours to get to 40% on the long test before it failed, so running that test again to see if the same thing happens could take awhile

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    That's what it should be so no problem there.

9. VershaMittal

VershaMittal

First Name:
    Versha
    There is a command to get back such data. I have faced this issue earlier. You can check this command on google. Right now i din't remember. But i am sure about this.

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If Seagate testing shows errors for fails testing, the drive is faulty and should be replaced. It should be under warranty, simply create an RMA and have it replaced.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree; if it fails any test, replace the drive.
    Just my opinion however external drives are just not as reliable as an internal drive. This is for three reasons;
    1 Heat. External drives without a cooling fan [which is just about all of them] are not designed for continuous duty. They are made to switch ON and make a backup then OFF. When left ON, they overheat.
    2 Movement of the drive. Externals are moved around, plugged in and removed, etc. This increases the chance of shock damage.
    3 Extra interface for the usb connection. Just another part that can fail.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1164778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice