1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE NOT SHOWING IN DISK MANAGEMENT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AIdil, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AIdil

AIdil Thread Starter

My external hard drive seagate 1TB not showing in my computer and disk management. It happen after I install seagate dashboard. It showing in device manager under disk driver but I can't access this drive. I'm trying to get into BIOS while inserting the external drive but my computer stuck. When I pull out this external hard drive my computer can enter bios and boot up normally. Please help. I got very important data in my external hard drive. TQ very much

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      20.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
  2. thewoodworker

thewoodworker

I assume that if you start without the 1TB HD that everything works normally.

If this is true, when you connect the 1TB HD, do you get any indication that you have added new hardware? You should.

Is your connection to the 1TB HD via USB?

Never mind. One of your images shows that the Seagate is recognized. From that, I conclude that the USB interface is good

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. valis

valis Moderator

Just wait for it to boot completely before adding it to the system; i.e., don't let the computer boot up with that plugged in. Once the machine is up, plug it in, let us know if the data is there.

4. AIdil

AIdil Thread Starter

Hello woodworker, yes it work normally without the 1TB HD, 2nd there is indication that I added new hardware and yes I connect it via USB.

Hello Valis, I've done it but after get in BIOS and plugged it, the BIOS stuck, hope you can help me more.

5. valis

valis Moderator

I apologize, I am not understanding the problem.

Does the computer boot up all the way or not?

6. AIdil

AIdil Thread Starter

It can boot up without the external HD, but cant boot up with the external HD

7. valis

valis Moderator

is the external on when it's trying to boot? What happens when you leave it plugged in but not turned on?

8. AIdil

AIdil Thread Starter

It stuck and only black screen appear when i plugged in, the External Hd always on

9. valis

valis Moderator

If you want, you can try to flash the bios. I was offered that choice for this exact problem, I chose to turn the ext drive on after boot. Flashing the bios will NOT guarantee a fix. I don't know of any other solutions though, other then plugging it in after it boots. Which, IMHO, is the best practice anyhow.

10. AIdil

AIdil Thread Starter

Tq Valis for your solution but it doesnt work out.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Attach your 1TB external hard drive to a friend's computer who does not have Seagate dashbord installed.
    Get the files from the 1TB drive you need.

Then on your computer uninstall Seagate dashboard and hope the 1TB drive is now functioning properly.

12. valis

valis Moderator

What error are you receiving? plodr has a good idea, please let us know if that works.

13. thewoodworker

thewoodworker

I do hope that this works for vlodr. However, I have had the Seagate dashboard on my computer until just the day before yesterday. Even though I have had no Seagate drives, I have never had a problem that I could blame on Seagate or the dashboard.

A significant symptom seems to be that when the external drive is connected, he cannot get into BIOS.

With important data on the external drive, I strongly recommend that it longer gets attached to this computer until the issue is resolved. It would be a shame to stump on that data when it is not necessary.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1154568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice