1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive not showing up! BAD!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlohr, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlohr

jlohr Thread Starter

My entire life is on my external hard drive - it's supposed to be my back up. Now I have an issue with that.

I'm running XP with all updated security profiles and the latest SP. I have an external hard drive that has been working fine on this box, but recently, the computer isn't recognizing it. It gives me the whole "driver not found" scenario. But it can't find the driver anywhere on the net, my computer, or anywhere else.

It's a Western Digital hard drive, and I think it's called a Passport drive. Apparently, talking to my dad, they're ****ty little drives. Which sucks. All my music, pictures, and writing (freelance and published fiction writer) was on this drive cause I was going from one box to another.

Help! Please tell me that my data is at least salvageable!!!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried plugging the drive into more then one computer? Does it work on a second computer?

FYI, one copy of any data is not a backup.

3. jlohr

jlohr Thread Starter

Yeah, I tried it on a second computer, the box I was moving to. It didn't work there, either. Said the same thing - the hard drive's driver is missing and it can't read it.

And it was a backup - I was moving from one computer to the next. My old box crashed (it was a horrible and fiery death) and I lost all my old data. But I had my backup on my hard drive, so no worries. Then I plug it into my new box and it gives me the driver issue that I had on my old box's last day. I don't know exactly what the issue is, and I didn't get time to figure it out on my old box. The old box was lost in a tragic farming accident - one of our cows rubbed against a fuse box and caused a bit of a power overload. Blew both my surge protectors.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can try taking out the hard drive from the computer and see if it still works, the rest of the computer may be toast but it may still work.

You can also take apart the external hard drive and use an adapter like this to see if the drive is accessible: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156017

5. jlohr

jlohr Thread Starter

Fantastic! I'm heading out tonight anyways - in the middle of nowhere, and the closest town is an hour away, so you kinda have to plan these things. I'll get one of those readers while I'm out and I'll let you know what happens.

Oh, and my old drive is toast. Quite literally. It was still smoking when I got to it, and it is completely destroyed. So...this is kind of my last option.

Thanks so much for your help! I'll message to say what's up.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/801315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice