1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Not Showing Up In Disk Management

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CyBerris, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CyBerris

CyBerris Thread Starter

I'm currently using a Samsung NP-QX410, and I'm trying to install an external hard drive onto the laptop so that I can backup the data.

The hard drive is a Western Digital Scorpio 750GB
    The hard drive enclosure is a Vantec NexStar TX 2.5-Inch SATA (I know it's cheap. That might very well be the problem).

When I plugged in the hard drive into the USB ports (I've tried all of them), the light on the enclosure lights up and I can hear the hard drive spinning. When I look around, I can't find any signs from my laptop that a hard drive has been plugged in (or that anything at all has been plugged in for that matter). After some digging I found out it's suppose to appear in the Disk Management page, then create a partition and do a few other things with it.

My disk Management shows no signs of the hard drive though. All it shows is Disk 0 (the basic disk) and CD-ROM (for DVD's).

To me the problem just looks like I just bought a cheap enclosure, but I'd rather ask to make sure there isn't an obvious step I skipped. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks.

2. huggie54

huggie54

hi, does it show in device manager?

3. huggie54

huggie54

go to Device manager and expand the USB list,connect the external hard drive and power it on.a new USB device will appear in the list.right-click on it and select uninstall,power the external hard drive off and reboot the laptop,when fully booted power the external hard drive back on and hopefully it should install the drivers.

4. CyBerris

CyBerris Thread Starter

After plugging in the external hard drive, no new USB devices show up on the USB list.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe the data connection to the drive (from the enclosure) is not quite secure. Double check all connections.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try a different cable. I had the same last night when my external drive didn't work (light on and disk spinning). New cable fixed it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1102299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice