1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive not showing up on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlondeBomber, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlondeBomber

BlondeBomber Thread Starter

First, I apologize if this question has been posted before but I tried searching on this site for the answer but didn't seem to find one. Here is my problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite A200 laptop running Vista Home Premium which has been giving me problems since the day I purchased it. After many calls to Toshiba and taking it back to the store of purchase, the only answer I get is: Format it! So after creating the recovery cds I have to back up bazillions of files. My brother is letting me use his hard drive which is in a SSK USB enclosure. Unfortunately I do not know the make of the hard drive in the enclosure and he is away so I cannot ask him. Here is the problem:
    1. I plug it into the USB port and the laptop makes the sound of finding new hardware and the little icon appears saying "safely remove hardware"
    2. I click on My Computer and the hard drive is no where to be found
    3. I clicked on Device Manager and I can see it under USB Mass Storage Device
    4. I go to Disk Management and I can see it as Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized

I have never connected an external hard drive before so I'm a little scared to Initialize it because I know my brother has lots of files already stored on it and I do not want to erase them. I know he did have it connected to his Mac pc and his Macbook so i'm not sure if this is what is causing the problem. All I want to do is backup my files so I can format this laptop that is causing me such frustration!

I am thanking in advance to anyone who is willing to help me fix this problem. :)

Attached Files:

2. bigbear

bigbear

If the drive is formatted to use on a MAC then you will not be able yo use it on an IBM machine.
    It will probably be better if you got your own external drive

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice