1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive not showing up!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lucky_indian, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lucky_indian

lucky_indian Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a 1.5 TB Western Digital External harddrive that i purchased couple of months ago, still under warranty. Last night whilst browsing my files in the external it frooze so i did a restart. I noticed that it made a funny noise (not really grinding but not sure how to describe it) it powered on (blue light turned on) but then the hard drive didn't show up in windows explorer and windows 7 re-installed the driver software. I let it install still nothing, so i went to disk management and turns out that it's not intialised! so i went intialise then it went do you want to partition by MBR or GPT, i did MBR, i got an error saying incorrect function. I went into device manager and surely the WD was there. I plugged it in my PC and same issue. I put it on the laptop again and this time it didn't show up in disk management just device manager.

I am not sure what else to do? Please help me out

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Call WD, see if they have any tech bulletins on that model, does not sound good.

They had a bunch of problems with 1.5 tb drives when they first came out.

I hope you had your data in more than 1 place, it may be gone on that drive.

3. lucky_indian

i sent to the tech support from the place i purchased it at. Since it's 1.5 TB it was my back up drive i did have some files on the laptop but older stuff was backed up on there. I hope i can get atleast bits and pieces of it e.g pictures and few files.

4. lucky_indian

hey, they tried replacing the power adapter and apparently the disks aren't spinning, i really need to get the data of it what should i do? Please help me out

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice