1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive not Visible in Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by amja, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amja

amja Thread Starter

Hello,

I was playing an audio file from my external hard drive when the usb cord disconnected. After reconnecting, the computer makes a sound indicating the drive is recognized, but it does not appear in Windows. Lovely. So I went through the Device Manager (where the device is visible) and tried disabling/enabling, uninstalling/reinstalling. No success in gaining access to the drive through explorer. I opened Disk Management in Computer Management and here is where I stand, staring at my now unallocated drive. The drive is full of data that I can't lose, which makes me hesitant to take action in Disk Management (The harmless ~assign drive letter~ option doesn't appear to be available). I guess I will just attach some screen caps and then see if anyone wants to walk me through the best solution to regain access to my drive without compromising my files.

Just to be clear, I'm running Windows 8.1 and don't have access to another computer.

Thanks in advance and let me know if there if any more information is needed.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      152.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      134.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      175 KB
      Views:
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I infer then that you have at least one other copy of the data somewhere. I would make yet another copy to make sure of having the requisite number of copies in case the hard drive is in really bad shape.

Seems to me that if the external drive is powered through the USB it may be badly damaged, but if independently powered than the disconnection should have caused little or no damage. I'd disconnect it, restart the system, and then connect the drive again.

Another thing you could try is a Live CD of Puppy Linux (or another "rescue" disk) to see it it can read the drive.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You did not state as to how the cord got disconnected, but the cord plug it self may be damaged.
    Did you try a different cord and/or port on the computer if that is where the disconnect was made?

If made at the drive it self, then the connectors at that junction may be damaged.

4. amja

amja Thread Starter

Its kind of my cumulative back up for all my other hard drives/flash drives/past computers. Some of those sources (such as past computers) are no longer accessible.
    Unfortunately, the drive is not independently powered.

This might be something I could try, but need to find an alternative drive/CD/etc. first. (I've actually been traveling through developing nations with unreliable electricity lately, which explains why I needed a USB powered drive and only have access to this one computer. Making a PuppyLinux CD is possible, just need to start looking for a blank disk/drive)

If I remember correctly, the disconnection was made at the drive-end of the usb, and it was caused by moving the laptop a little to abruptly. I have tried another USB and found no success. The drive still lights up and makes those subtle ~whirring~ sounds when attached.

-------------------

I guess what I need is hope that if repairing the drive causes loss of data, can those files be restored?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe some or most with free data recovery software.

More likely some or most with purchased data recovery software.

Probably almost all by a data recovery company.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would say that the connecter in the drive itself has been damaged, until this is working there is no recoverable access to the data, unless ones go in and hot wires to the internal points and by pass the damaged area. This needs to be done by someone that KNOWS what they are doing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!