External hard drive not working after failed disk scan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nepk

Hello.

I have an external hard drive. I did the check for errors thing from properties>tools. I checked the options "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". After some time I thought the scan froze up so I hit cancel and not the disk is unusable. It says "X:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." Same message if I try the error checking option again.

Please help.

I think first you need to check for possible drive failure before trying anything else, since if does turn out to be drive failure that's end of story -- new drive required. Download the Diagnostic Software (installable Windows version) from the drive manufacturer's website. The links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

nepk

the tests revealed a problem. the longer test actually took hours and then said the test couldn't complete because there were too many errors.

however on restarting the machine, the drive is working perfectly. i tried opening some files and they're working fine, data transfer rate is good too.

i'm going to back up as much as possible, but is there anything i should worry about? anything i can do to fix the errors? the drive was working fine before i did the check for errors thing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online