1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive only Partially Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jon44, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon44

Jon44 Thread Starter

I have a Fujitsu Handy Drive that I was using to store iTunes music/ movies. After iTunes crashed while it was writing to the drive, the drive hasn't worked correctly.

It immediately slows down my entire system when plugged in, and then is sporadically recognized in "My Computer." As soon as I try to click on it, it again slows down everything and may or may not proceed to next step.

Check Disk utility crashes when I try to run it on the drive, and Fujitsu Diagnostic program shows the drive as an option (without a serial number) but doesn't allow me to select it to run a scan.

Is there any hope?

Thanks,

Jon

2. ajkane

ajkane

Sorry, it sounds like the drive is shoot, is check disk won't even read the disk then it is probably corrupted. If you don't care about what is on the drive (you can re-download all of you iTunes data) then you can reformat it. Even if you do reformat it you can download software that reads previous formations of the drive and try to recover your data that way, but there is a chance that it could be unreadable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice