1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Partition Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BoyNye, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BoyNye

BoyNye Thread Starter

I recently purchased a 3TB external hard drive. While using the disk management tool in Windows I created unallocated space intended to be used for a partition. The system wouldn't allow me to create the partition continually showing an error message that MBR drives are limited to the first 2TB of space available. My question is two fold: How do I return the unallocated space to the primary partition on the disk? How do I then add the secondary partition?

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I use EASEUS partition master for all my partitioning when windows gives me issues. I would give it a try.

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use GPT when you initialize the drive if the drive is larger than 2 TB. You cannot use any of the unallocated space over 2 TB on an MBR partitioned drive. Then, just right-click the areas you want to change and create basic volumes (partitions) where you want them. I'd suggest using as few as possible (partitions are not a substitute for folders and transferring files between them can waste time for large files), and make them primary so they are independent.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thank you, Terry.

purduebmaker7, please note the typo in Step 7. As you may have suspected, it should be Convert to MBR Disk and NOT Convert to MPR Disk, as it states.

It may be abundantly obvious, but I didn't want you to think you did something wrong.:D

7. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    You lost me. What typo in step 7? I only have one post and it just says I would try easeus partition master.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That confused me too, but I think Elvandil meant to tell BoyNye that there is a typo in the article to which I linked. :)

9. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    The moderators around here, jeez! ha jp

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, for whomever may follow that link....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice