1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive problems HELP!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cheryl19843, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheryl19843

cheryl19843 Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I wonder if anyone can help me? I have had a plug and play external hard drive (Iomega) for a year and had no bother with it what so ever. I use it purely to store photos. I plugged it into my netbook the other day to add some more photos to the drive and it just wouldn't come up. It wasn't in 'my computer' either. Yet when I click on the safely remove hardware button in bottom right of computer screen it is there so the computer obvisouly knows its plugged in. It doesnt make the sound anymore that it used to make when you innitially plug it in. I have tried all three USB ports and non of them work. Any ideas how I can find it on my netbook? Thanks, Cheryl.

2. karlhaywood

karlhaywood Account Closed

Try right clicking "My Computer" then "Manage" next click on "Disk Management" if you can see your drive in the right hand window click on it and select "Change Drive Letter and Path" if you do this it should remember the drive letter everytime you plug it in. Any problems get back in touch.

3. cheryl19843

cheryl19843 Thread Starter

I did as you said but the drive isnt there? Theres one that says acer (c:) and then another that says pqservice. However underneath there are three boxes - two with the two drives I previously mentioned in and then another with my hard drive in which says disk 0 but it doesnt give me the option to change drive letter and path like it does with the other two?

4. karlhaywood

karlhaywood Account Closed

Ok, right click "My Computer" go to "Properties" click the "Hardware" tab then "Device Manager" and have a look to see if you are showing any yellow question marks. They are for unknown attached devices (windows dows not know what it is) and cannot install because it has no driver in its database to recognise it. If the Hardware is plugged in, do a restart of the computer navigate your way to the above device manager and see if it still does not show any new devices. Plug and play has been disabled if not in the systems bio's then possibly in the administrators system services file.

Let me know the outcome.

5. geek117

geek117

Is this external harddrive a portable (2.5" drive, requires only a USB cable and no external power supply), or is it a desktop sized drive (3.5") that has its own power supply? If it is the former rather than the latter, it is very possible that the netbook is not providing enough power over USB to power the harddrive, resulting in the drive not properly being recognized within Windows.

6. Irukku

Irukku

Can you try removing the hard disk drive from the external case and plug it directly to your SATA/IDE port? Then check if your BIOS recognizes it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice