1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard drive problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hevanne, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hevanne

hevanne Thread Starter

So Ive hunted around and cant seem to find an answer to this. Ive got a WD External hard drive been working fine until it started saying it needed scanning and checking or something like that however when i clicked yes it wouldnt let me, so that carried on and now I have a big problem.

When I plug my hard drive in it makes the usb connection noise but no hard drive in My Computer. So I would have a look in computer managment its there but as:
    Disk 1
    Unknown
    298.09 GB
    Not Initialized

but it wont let me initialize it because of a I/O error. Ive uninstalled drivers still no help.

Also its not listed at the top where it says volume, layout, type, file system etc. Only at the bottom where it is Disk 0, Disk 1, CD-ROM 0

Please help I have 1000's of photos on there I just dont want to lose.
    Thank you in advance.

2. CaseSensivity

CaseSensivity

Plug the USB connection into the PC

Take out the power cable

Plug in the power cable

That worked last time I had this

3. hevanne

hevanne Thread Starter

Nope it makes the Usb connection noise but still not working used the WD dianostic thing and it came back

cable test read diagnostics sector error

4. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

5. hevanne

hevanne Thread Starter

I have no way of taking ownership as it doesnt show up in my computer so I cant get into properties.
    Also could you explain the safe mode and doing the disk check? I really dont understand how to do it
    thanks again

6. hevanne

hevanne Thread Starter

Might I just need a new A-B Usb cable? Ive got one ordered along with a new external hard drive.

7. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

8. hevanne

hevanne Thread Starter

Thats great then how do I do a disk check? Is it error checking in properties?

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like at the least the external case controller died and at worst the drive itself died. Some people recommend, in this case, prying the drive out of its enclosure and connecting it directly to the motherboard internally. That eliminates problems with the enclosure.

I assume you've already tried connecting it to another computer just to rule out a problem with your system, but I highly doubt that's the problem.

10. hevanne

hevanne Thread Starter

I only have access to a laptop the one Im using. If the drive is dead would it still show up in device management?

11. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

Sorry- ya - hopefully that drive will show up in safe mode - then if it were me I would check both boxes to scan for errors. ( this may take a while depending on the amount of files you have - mine was about 3 hours - with 175G of music and etc folders)

If the drive does show up in safe mode also check the security settings and make sure you have full access.

If it doesn't show up in safe mode then more than likely it's the cable?

Attached Files:

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can get SATA or IDE to USB adapters that might work with the drive.

You got some clear signals the drive was dying. It's not detected at all by the operating system. This isn't an issue of security, access, or any other type of software problem. You're looking at hardware failure at this point. You can either try what I'm suggesting or take it to a professional and pay for data recovery.

13. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

DoubleHelix may be right- and that's good advice to get the files back- ( I wouldn't take it to the shop )
    But hopefully you'll see it in safe mode - as in the your original post you said :

"So I would have a look in computer managment its there but as:"
    Disk 1
    Unknown
    298.09 GB
    Not Initialized

So it is visible - or am I reading that wrong?

14. hevanne

hevanne Thread Starter

Its visable on in device managemant, computer management and also when I run WD disgnostic software, but not visable in My computer. can you explain SATA or IDE to USB adapters or point me to a website that explains it because I dont understand.
    Still need to try safe mode and tried a friends laptop and still the same only visable in device and computer management
    Thank you again

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Here's a universal Adapter .. Just plug it into a HDD

They also make enclosures for IDE or SATA HDDS .. So you can make your own external by adding a HDD

Attached Files:

• Clip.jpg
      Clip.jpg
      File size:
      82.7 KB
      Views:
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/892436