1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive question!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamal420, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamal420

jamal420 Thread Starter

I have PC with XP Professional with an internal hard drive. I just purchased an external hard drive and connected to my sytem via USB drive. One of the technician told me that my original hard drive may die soon! My question is: Is it possible to use the external hard drive as a main drive...I mean copying all the files from my old hard drive and use that? Now it is configured as a back up only.:confused:

Thanks for your help.:cool:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nope. You can't boot Windows from that drive without some hacks, and even if you did, it would be dog-slow! If your internal drive is about to bite the dust, I'd clone it to the external and then install the external drive as your internal one.

3. jamal420

jamal420 Thread Starter

Thanks! How do you clone and how do you install the external as an internal? Sorry for asking novice questions!

Thanks for your help.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you Clone to the HD in the external …
    1: You have to be able to remove the HD from the external to install it in your computer.
    2: It has to be the same type of HD as installed in your Computer … ie.. ATA
    3: The Cloning will erase all previous Data stored in the external.

Another option ...
    You can make a recovery “Image” of your HD … and store it in the External …
    Then you can rewrite/recover a new HD in your Computer .. using the recovery Image stored in the external.
    If you have the space in the External ... this "recovery image" will not erase any Data stored in it.
    The recovery Image will recover the HD back to exacly the way it was ... when you made the recovery Image.

I suggest you get this software … It can do either …
    Acronis TI Home Page …. The free trial D/L is fully functional for 15 days. ….. Buy here for $30

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't you mean $25? Look at the link. :D

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Check out the shipping costs ...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice