1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sdkonkle, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdkonkle

sdkonkle Thread Starter

I was just wondering if it was possible to build an external HD using an encloser kit and a HD that is already formatted and has stuff on it?

2. Knotbored

Knotbored

Yes- I pulled the hard drive from my older Windows ME computer that was failing, placed it into a $40 case from BESTBUY store and plugged it into new computers USB port. It was a 10 minute (simple) operation and it works perfectly.
    Note-that second hard drive will not run the installed programs, they have to be reinstalled onto the primary new drive, but ZIP files and all the downloads I made were avauilable to reinstall.
    Its a good cheap way to get a second hard drive, and an easy way to salvage all the old documents and pictures.

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Indeed, I also have done as Knotbored.
    My drive came out of a previous computer. I copied the data to my 'new' computer and continued to use the external as backup for new data. As the external drive is still in good condition and seldom turned on, other than to do a back up, it should last a very long time.
    I also back up to a DVD just to be extra cautious.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, this is done very commonly. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

5. john1

john1

This sounds very interesting.
    Could a similar unit be made using an ethernet connection
    instead of a USB point ?

If this can be done easily using ethernet i would like to do so.

John :)

6. bigbear

bigbear

7. JohnWill

Many places sell NAS enclosures to install your own hard disk into, I have a MetalGear NAS box and a Hawking NAS box. I also have a couple of Ximeta NDAS disk enclosures.

8. john1

john1

Thanks, i shall have to look into what boards are needed
    to make a 'wake-on-lan" sort of hard drive box,
    maybe an old PC board would do, with a net card.
    I suppose that an old PC mobo would have to be new enough
    to run the "wake-on-lan"

Cheers, John :)

9. JohnWill

Actually, the cheaper solution will probably be a stand-alone NAS enclosure. They also provide a solution that consumes much less power. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice