1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Standard Disc v SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheLegendHasRetired, Feb 14, 2020.

1. TheLegendHasRetired

TheLegendHasRetired Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit, Build 9600, Installed 20160920095519.000000+060
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
    Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (53 GB Free); E: 931 GB (442 GB Free); F: 931 GB (750 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-G, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 131017471701595
    System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Enabled and Updated

Hello and good morning. I currently use Western Digital Disc-based external hard drives to back up my music collection plus photos, videos and documents. I do these manually using a 'copy and paste' method via a USB 3 SS port.My music collection take up 500gb of space and takes 3.5 hours to back-up from scratch.

I was wondering if, in addition to using Western Digital standard disc EXD, would an additional Western Digital SSD 1tb help speed up the process given that the desktop is a disc based product. If so, which of their ssd products should I purchase please.

All help and advice greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your responses.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    No. The external storage speed issue is related to the connection type (ie: USB) and not the disk speed. And those speeds are slow if you have a USB3 external drive and are using an actual USB3 port on the PC.

For reference, I can copy 400GB to a drive in about 2 hours. This is a bare drive in a eSATA dock and is only writing at 40-50k (should be much higher and I am currently investigating that issue). I also have a new external Seagate 8TB USB3 drive that I am using for testing, and the speed writing to that drive is 180-220k (so 4 times faster, which would equate to only a 1/4 of the time to transfer 400GB).

So your issue doesn't appear drive related, it's USB port related. My guess is you are using a standard USB (2) port.

3. TheLegendHasRetired

TheLegendHasRetired Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I think I'll stick to my 3 backups and leave an ssd backup until my next computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice